The Caravan Club of Southern Africa is the largest Caravan Club in Southern Africa and holds 6 National Rallies per year on pre-determined dates on which every Region in South Africa will hold a Rally. Every 3rd year Rally South Africa is held in which case there are 7 National Rallies in that particular year.
On the 2nd June 1947, four caravan enthusiasts and their good ladies gathered in the lounge of a Johannesburg Hotel to consider the formation of a Club which would give them the opportunity of discussing their common interest and mutual problems. It was decided that the name of the first Club should be the Rand Caravan Club. A constitution was drafted, which is a condensed form of our present constitution. The following acting office bearers were elected.
Chairman/Treasurer Mr A.W. MAY
Secretary Mrs T.B. LLOYD
The first general meeting took place on the 28th July 1947, in the Victoria Hotel, Johannesburg attended by 17 members. Mr Eric Hoffman was elected Chairman, the office he held for 14 years. He is now the Club’s first President and is still an active Caravaner.
At a special General Meeting held on the 29th September 1947, the name of the Club was changed to “The Caravan Club of Southern Africa” The first Rally took place on the 12th October 1947 at Gillooly’s Farm, Johannesburg and the first Marshal was Mr Wools Brockhoven.
The first Region was constituted in 1960 (Pretoria and Northern Transvaal) and at the time had nine very active Regions and a number of branches- stretching from the Zambezi to the Cape Peninsular, each with its own Committee to look after its own social affairs and all were responsible to a central body known as the National Executive Committee conducting the affairs of the Club through a full-time National Secretary with a permanent office.
The Caravan Club of Southern Africa is a Family orientated club that promotes high moral standards and every Member of the Club shall conform to the following Code of Conduct:
Under the auspices of the Club, a National Caravan Register was established and with the assistance of the main Motor Touring Clubs and “Caravan” magazine, facts and figures in connection with the use of caravans on the South African roads were collected with the object of approaching the Provincial authorities to recognize a caravan as a vehicle in its own rights and to bring taxation on caravans down to a more realistic figure. The Club has succeeded so far in the Province of the Transvaal of convincing the authorities of the caravaner’s just plea and a substantial reduction in caravan licence fees was effected from the 1st January 1964. The hope is that in the other Provinces will follow this example in the near future. Members of the Club serve on committees of several Organizations such as the S.A. Road Federation, S.A. Nature Union, Bureau of Standards etc-
Here is a copy of an article published in the Caravan & Outdoor Life in September 1988